Project

General

online host suggestions for Tigase server instance?

Abraham Varricatt
Added almost 5 years ago

Hello,

My firm is making an iPhone application and after trying out Tigase on my desktop, I'm thinking of adding in XMPP chat functionality by using it on the backend. Does anyone have suggestions on a host I could use to run Tigase on the internet? I would like to avoid dealing with linux/windows server administration, if possible.

Additionally, if we extend Tigase by making our own extensions/plugins, are those changes bound by the GPL? My understanding is that since we aren't making changes to the core code, such modifications need not be shared openly (Personally, I would like to, but management sees otherwise).

-Abraham V.

Replies (6)

Added by Abraham Varricatt almost 5 years ago

Umm... there ARE folks in here using Tigase on the open internet, right?

-Abraham V.

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam almost 5 years ago

Abraham Varricatt wrote:

Umm... there ARE folks in here using Tigase on the open internet, right?

Not sure what you mean exactly by this. There are over 1,000 machines running Tigase on the internet and our all customers in total have about 100 million users/devices connected to Tigase installations.

Abraham Varricatt wrote:

Hello,

My firm is making an iPhone application and after trying out Tigase on my desktop, I'm thinking of adding in XMPP chat functionality by using it on the backend. Does anyone have suggestions on a host I could use to run Tigase on the internet? I would like to avoid dealing with linux/windows server administration, if possible.

If you want to run own XMPP service then you have to setup Tigase on own server, Linux is preferred. Then you have to deal with Linux administration. Otherwise you can us our public XMPP service with open users registration. You can even setup own DNS domain and use it on the installation. Currently there are no limits on the server other than a sensible per-user usage limits.

Additionally, if we extend Tigase by making our own extensions/plugins, are those changes bound by the GPL? My understanding is that since we aren't making changes to the core code, such modifications need not be shared openly (Personally, I would like to, but management sees otherwise).

If you plan to extend Tigase then, you have to run it on your own server of course.

Tigase is available for free under AGPLv3 license (not the GPL). I suggest you to read the AGPL license carefully before you make the final decision. Our understanding of the AGPL license is that any code that is loadable into the Tigase XMPP Server runtime is covered by the AGPL license.

If you do not want/like to release your code under AGPL license we can offer a commercial license for the Tigase XMPP Server which allows you to use the software under different terms.

@Artur,

Thank you for the reply. A pity about Linux administration, but if that's the way things have to go, then its what I'll do.

On the matter of licensing, ... I think it warrants an extended discussion with my management. Thank you for clarifying that. If we do decide to go with a commercial Tigase XMPP license, how much would it cost us?

-Abraham V.

On the matter of licensing, ... I think it warrants an extended discussion with my management. Thank you for clarifying that. If we do decide to go with a commercial Tigase XMPP license, how much would it cost us?

Please contact us using the contact form and we will send you details: http://www.tigase.com/content/commercial-license

Just sent a request via the form you linked. Thanks!

-Abraham V.

(1-6/6)