Project

General

message-carbons vs message-all

Gabriel Rossetti
Added over 4 years ago

Hi all,

I understood from what I read in the forums that if you want your msgs to be sent to all of a client's ronnected resources that you need to enable/disable:

--sm-plugins = message-all, -amp, -message

but when looking at the list of default plugins loaded by Tigase I noticed that message-carbons is loaded, after reading XEP-0280 it looks like it also does this. What is the difference in between message-carbons & message-all then?

As a side question, why can I not use AMP if I want all of a client's resources to recieve the msgs sent to the client?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Replies (2)

Added by Wojciech Kapcia TigaseTeam over 4 years ago

Gabriel Rossetti wrote:

I understood from what I read in the forums that if you want your msgs to be sent to all of a client's ronnected resources that you need to enable/disable:

--sm-plugins = message-all, -amp, -message

This is correct

but when looking at the list of default plugins loaded by Tigase I noticed that message-carbons is loaded, after reading XEP-0280 it looks like it also does this. What is the difference in between message-carbons & message-all then?

First of all - XEP-0280 is an extension and thus needs to be supported by clients to work properly in full.

message-all on the other hand works in a bit less standard way and simply broadcast all messages to all connected resources, even if the address specify resource to which it should be send.

As a side question, why can I not use AMP if I want all of a client's resources to recieve the msgs sent to the client?

Because AMP tries to follow specification more to-the-letter when it comes to logic determining which resource should receive particular message.

Added by Gabriel Rossetti over 4 years ago

Ok, thank you very much for the explanation.

(1-2/2)