Project

General

Rsyslog and/or best practice for Tigase logging to be used by help-desk support

Hamid Alimohammadi
Added almost 4 years ago

Hello,

I am going to prepare a sort of help-desk guide to troubleshoot any probable issue that our Tigase end-user might face in the future. Although the issues for end-users are typically from end-users' configurations side like wrong username/password in clients' program, it is very handy for help-desk to check logs in a centralized log server. In addition to this, it is also a good idea to filter and redirect warning, err, crit logs to syslog server to be used by admin of Tigase server.

To achieve the above goals, I included the tigase_installation_path/log/tigase.log.0 file into the /etc/rsyslog.conf file and redirected all Tigase logs to remote log-server using TCP , but after a while we noticed a huge load both in Tigase server and log-server.

I understand that in production server Debug option should be disabled to avoid overload on the server.

Does anyone have any idea what would be the best practice to provide at least a minimal logging to be used by help desk and Tigase admin?

Thank you in advance for help

Replies (3)

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam almost 4 years ago

If you comment out all the debug lines in the configuration file, Tigase will output only important log messages on level WARNING and SEVERE. This is our recommended setting for production systems.

Added by Hamid Alimohammadi almost 4 years ago

Thank you for reply,

So, do you mean I just comment out --debug in init.properties configuration file?

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam almost 4 years ago

Yes, if you comment all the debug related properties it should be set for production system. I think the 2 most important are:

--debug
--debug-package

Also any log level related settings should be removed because by default Tigase outputs only WARING and SEVERE record, which is what you normally need for the production system.

(1-3/3)