Project

General

Clarification required regarding Licensing policy

Vijay Kaimal
Added about 3 years ago

We are developing a web application that uses Tigase XMPP server (Running on MS SQL) for chat functionality. We have a unique requirement of updating our application database whenever an offline message is sent to a user. We plan to accomplish this by creating an AFTERINSERT Trigger for the table [msg_history] in Tigase XMPP database. Basically we want to customize tigase XMPP database by adding our own trigger.

We understand that Tigase is under AGPLv3 license. Does the licensing policy prevent us from customizing Tigase Database? Please note we are not planning to customize Tigase source code.

Regards,

Vijay

Replies (6)

Added by Daniel Wisnewski IoT 1 Cloud about 3 years ago

I do not believe that modifying the database is outside the licensing terms. Please keep a document handy with tigase (in the main directory is fine) mentioning the changes to the database in the directory to ensure if a copy is made somewhere, that it is not representative of the vanilla Tigase product.

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam about 3 years ago

Regardless you modify the Tigase source code or not, you customize the DB or not, you still have to obey the AGPLv3 license terms if you use Tigase with the AGPLv3 license. Modifications or lack of them to the software code does not change anything.

If you use Tigase with AGPLv3 license, please refer to the license terms and conditions for all the details related to allowed use. As for the question you asked, AGPLv3 license does not forbid you from modifying the software code or it's database. Just on the contrary, it encourages people to modify, improve and share the code.

Added by Vijay Kaimal about 3 years ago

Thank you Daniel Wisnewski and Artur Hefczyc. So my understanding is that, I can go ahead and make the required changes. Only thing is, I need to keep a document in the Tigase installation folder mentioning the changes to the database. Should I inform Tigase team also regarding the same? If "Yes" what is the procedure for that?

Thanks

Vijay

Added by Daniel Wisnewski IoT 1 Cloud about 3 years ago

You don't need to notify us about the changes Vijay, feel free to start!

Added by Vijay Kaimal about 3 years ago

Ok, thanks. If I understand correctly,I need to submit the changed code to Tigase team once I am done (In my case the SQL scripts). Where can I do that? Could you please give me any link / document that explains the steps I need to follow while submitting the code.

(1-6/6)