Project

General

Administration Guide Documentation issue (Install Error)

Javier Urtubia
Added about 2 months ago

Hello,
This is my first time using your product. I read your site and after comparing it to several XMPP servers I decided to try yours as it is so open source (We are a big open source shop) I downloaded Tigase XMPP server version 7. 1.2 per your documentation. I built a brand new install CentOS 7 server and also installed Oracle Java JDK 9. You documentation states JDK 8 or greater so I did greater. I defined the JDK 9 as $JAVA_HOME. All that seems to be in good order. I then proceeded to do the Web Installer as it's the first option on your Doc. I downloaded and un tar'd the file per your doc and that was is good, However when I run scripts/tigase.sh start per your doc I get nothing. I see the following.

[admin@jabber tigase-server-7.1.2-b4471]$ scripts/tigase.sh start
No params-file.conf given. Using: ''
Starting Tigase:
nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout
Tigase running pid=25607

Running to next step in your documentation:

[admin@jabber tigase-server-7.1.2-b4471]$ lsof -i -P

I get nothing.

Doing a bit or research on your forums I found an old reference to 5.x version of code that had a similar issue.
the fix was to define

scripts/tigase.sh start etc/tigase.conf

running the command like that I got the:
JAVA_HOME is not set.
Please set it to correct value before starting the sever.

I went ahead and edit the conf file but still got the exact same result.

[admin@jabber tigase-server-7.1.2-b4471]$ scripts/tigase.sh start etc/tigase.conf
Starting Tigase:
nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout
Tigase running pid=26110

SO next I decided to run the console installation further down your document section 9.4

I downloaded the jar file for 7.1.2 and ran the install in console mode. This was better as I can see what's actually happening. I made it through the entire installer right up to the database part:

0 [x] Derby (built-in database)
1 [ ] MySQL
2 [ ] PostgreSQL
3 [ ] SQLServer
4 [ ] Other...
input selection:

Advanced configuration options
[on, off]
off
press 1 to continue, 2 to quit, 3 to redisplay
  • Database configuration:
    You have selected MySQL database. This database needs additional configuration parameters. Please enter all required information.

MySQL super user account will be used only to create and configure database for the Tigase server. It will not be used by the Tigase server later on.

Super user account name: [root]

WARNING: password will be visible while entering
Super user password: ***
WARNING: password will be visible while entering
Retype password: *

MySQL database details. It will be created automatically if it does not exist.

Database account: [tigase]

Account password: [tigase12]

Database name: [tigasedb]

Database host or IP: [localhost]

Additional database parameters: []

press 1 to continue, 2 to quit, 3 to redisplay
Performing DB tasks

Checking connection to the database
Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.
Checking if the database exists
Connection not validated
Checking the database schema
Connection not validated
Checking whether the database needs conversion
Connection not validated
Adding XMPP admin accounts
Connection not validated
Loading socks5 component schema
Connection not validated
Loading PubSub component schema
Connection not validated
Post installation actions
Connection not validated

Install was successeful
application installed on /home/admin/tigase-server
[ Console installation done ]

Now Here is where I am stuck. was I supposed to pre install MySQL? If I wasn't supposed to then I'm very stuck as to why this didn't work.

Also saying the install was successful when it wasn't is a bit misleading.

Any pointers on this would be great!

Replies (2)

Added by Artur Hefczyc about 2 months ago

Hi,

Thank you for very detailed description. A few comments:

1. Even though, the documentation says JDK8 or later, unfortunately, we just discovered a few days ago JDK9 won't work. We are working on fixing this but the fix will most likely be available in Tigase 8.0.0 only. (planed to be released in a few weeks). So I suggest to use JDK8 for now.
  2. Yes, you need installed database: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server. This is how Tigase normally works, it connects to the existing database server. Our installer does not include DB server installation. However, if this is for testing purposes only installation, you can select Derby database, which is built-in database, so you do not need to install any real DB server. Derby is not suitable for a real production system or for any kind of high load or clustered system but it is good enough for testing, experimenting and development of custom components.
  3. Yes, you are correct, the final message is misleading. Thank you for reporting. We will work on correcting our installer, filed bug report: #6213.

Added by Wojciech Kapcia about 2 months ago

Now Here is where I am stuck. was I supposed to pre install MySQL? If I wasn't supposed to then I'm very stuck as to why this didn't work.

It's explained in the "Installing Using Console Installer
":http://docs.tigase.org/tigase-server/7.1.0/Administration_Guide/html_chunk/consoleinstall.html

Important notice: Tigase installer doesn’t contain the actual databases, only drivers allowing db access. One exception is Derby database, which is included in JDK. It is automatically configured by installer, in case of other databases you will need to configure them by yourself.

Also saying the install was successful when it wasn't is a bit misleading.

Yes, this is a bug in the installer logic. As explained in #6213 we won't fix this issue as we are switching to and recommending using WebInstaller.

Any pointers on this would be great!

I would recommend our documentation, especially Quick Start Guide section, which covers steps how to quickly get up and running with the Tigase. What's more, currently we are phasing out IzPack installer in favour of WebInstaller described in Installation Using Web Installer chapter.

(1-2/2)