Project

General

how long will the server take to detect whether the client is disconnected?

Raylin lin
Added over 4 years ago

hi,all:

how long will the server take to detect  whether the client is disconnected?  thank you.

Replies (5)

Added by Steffen Larsen over 4 years ago

Hi Raylin,

I think you should take a look at my posing in the forum: [[[https://projects.tigase.org/boards/4/topics/2105]]]

/Steffen

Added by Raylin lin over 4 years ago

Steffen Larsen wrote:

Hi Raylin,

I think you should take a look at my posing in the forum: [[[https://projects.tigase.org/boards/4/topics/2105]]]

/Steffen

thank you, but 10 minutes is a bit too long.

Added by Steffen Larsen over 4 years ago

I think you are misunderstanding. My posting is the exact same question as yours.

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam over 4 years ago

Raylin lin wrote:

hi,all:

how long will the server take to detect  whether the client is disconnected?  thank you.

Usually this is instant. However, some factors may contribute to extended time when the server does not know about the user being disconnected:

1. Bosh - the inactivity timeout determines how soon the server discovers a web user is gone, by default it is set to 10 seconds but many deployments set it to 60 seconds or even longer

2. Mobile devices is another story, mobile providers periodically cleanup all TCP/IP connections, even non-idle connections and they do it in such a way that neither the mobile device or the server is notified about broken connection. The Tigase server sends periodic whitespace pings which allow it to discover broken connection. This may take even up to 10 minutes

3. There are many other use cases which may cause the connection break and only one side (either the client or the server) knows about it and broken connection time varies from a one case to another.

Added by Andrzej Wójcik IoT 1 CloudTigaseTeam over 4 years ago

You may want to try using Tigase XMPP Server 5.3.0-SNAPSHOT version as this daily released version contains improvements in disconnection detection algorithm.

(1-5/5)