Project

General

tigase server 5.2.2 installation problems

Gaurav Gupta
Added over 4 years ago

Hi,

i just attempted to migrate from 5.2.0 (installed to explore tigase feature and services) to 5.2.2 and while migration i faced few issues:

Procedure opted to migrate:

1. Uninstall 5.2.0 using tigase uninstaller.

2. Deleted tigasedb.

3. git clone 5.2.2 repo (git clone https://repository.tigase.org/git/tigase-server.git)

4. imported the project using maven. (ignored 'Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.codehaus.gmaven:gmaven-plugin:1.5:execute (execution: gitver, phase: validate)' as stated in forum)

5. run the project.

6. tried to start the server using './script/tigase.sh start ./etc/tigase.conf)

===> this resulted in JAVA_HOME is not set. Although when i run echo $JAVA_HOME in terminal i got the path. Still, i tried to hardcode the path in tigase.conf like following

JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle"

Now re-excuting the command gives error for TIGASE_HOME not set.

Now my question is,

1. Am i missing something so that these variables are not getting set in either .sh file or .conf file ?

2. Also i looked at tigase-server/jar folder and i can see only jars for database-utility (derby, pgsql, mysql ). Jars for pubsub, message-archieve are not available there ( these jars were available when i installed 5.2.0 using GUI). How can i get all these jars ?

3. Since building project using maven resulted in raw init.properties, so i modified it. See attached file.

4. At last, can you describe the build procedure of tigase so that it gives better understanding of where problem may be in future. By procedure i mean something like: firstly using Run Maven Build result in creation of compiled source, and setting of values in .conf file and so on.

I have messed up alot with .sh and .conf file, so they may/may not help you, still i am attaching them in hope that you would like to see.

init.properties (553 Bytes) init.properties properties file
tigase.conf (847 Bytes) tigase.conf
tigase.sh (6.42 KB) tigase.sh

Replies (3)

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam over 4 years ago

1. tried to start the server using './script/tigase.sh start ./etc/tigase.conf)

===> this resulted in JAVA_HOME is not set. Although when i run echo $JAVA_HOME in terminal i got the path. Still, i tried to hardcode the path in tigase.conf like following

JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle"

Now re-excuting the command gives error for TIGASE_HOME not set.

The binary packages are preconfigured and prepared to be run using our scripts, they also contain binaries from all other projects. However, the repository source codes are not ready to be run out of the box. JAVA_HOME is set in tigase.conf file. The repository version is prepared to be parsed and adjusted by installer at installation time. So if you manually modify JAVA_HOME in this file it should work.

TIGASE_HOME is set automatically if the script can find Tigase's binary libraries in jars/ folder. So when you compile sources using maven you have to copy binary package over this this folder.

Now my question is,

1. Am i missing something so that these variables are not getting set in either .sh file or .conf file ?

2. Also i looked at tigase-server/jar folder and i can see only jars for database-utility (derby, pgsql, mysql ). Jars for pubsub, message-archieve are not available there ( these jars were available when i installed 5.2.0 using GUI). How can i get all these jars ?

These are all separate components and separate Tigase projects. You have to pull them from their Git repositories compile and copy binary packages to your run-time directory.

1. Since building project using maven resulted in raw init.properties, so i modified it. See attached file.

2. At last, can you describe the build procedure of tigase so that it gives better understanding of where problem may be in future. By procedure i mean something like: firstly using Run Maven Build result in creation of compiled source, and setting of values in .conf file and so on.

I have messed up alot with .sh and .conf file, so they may/may not help you, still i am attaching them in hope that you would like to see.

Added by Wojciech Kapcia TigaseTeam over 4 years ago

Gaurav Gupta wrote:

Procedure opted to migrate:

1. Uninstall 5.2.0 using tigase uninstaller.

2. Deleted tigasedb.

3. git clone 5.2.2 repo (git clone https://repository.tigase.org/git/tigase-server.git)

Actually it would be preferred to actually use installer of the newer version as it has upgrade capabilities. However it hasn't been yet deployed to the files section and it will happen as soon as possible)

1. imported the project using maven. (ignored 'Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.codehaus.gmaven:gmaven-plugin:1.5:execute (execution: gitver, phase: validate)' as stated in forum)

You've said 'imported' so I guess you've used Eclipse which can cause problems. Please use native maven from console and build using master module ( @$mvn -f modules/master/pom.xml clean package@)

1. Also i looked at tigase-server/jar folder and i can see only jars for database-utility (derby, pgsql, mysql ). Jars for pubsub, message-archieve are not available there ( these jars were available when i installed 5.2.0 using GUI). How can i get all these jars ?

If you go with above maven solution then you will get complete set of all dependencies in correct versions.

1. At last, can you describe the build procedure of tigase so that it gives better understanding of where problem may be in future. By procedure i mean something like: firstly using Run Maven Build result in creation of compiled source, and setting of values in .conf file and so on.

Please refer to Building Server and Generating Packages (the website is still work in progress but all informations are there)

Added by Gaurav Gupta over 4 years ago

Thanks Wojciech Kapcia, i followed the link ( http://docs.tigase.org/tigase-server/5.3.0/devguide/#_building_server_and_generating_packages ) and it solved the issue.

Many thanks to you.

(1-3/3)