Project

General

Proxy to be used for message transfer

Luca Stucchi
Added about 4 years ago

Hi there,

I was wondering how to implement this behavior:

I have some components of the system I am implementing that are only capable of HTTP/HTTPS connections, nothing more.

I want to enable them to fetch XMPP messages through a proxy, that will interact with Tigase, get the messages and send them back to my components.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the SOCKS5 proxy for this scenario, or if I have to develop a standalone module: it would be great to use something ready, but it looks like the SOCKS5 Tigase proxy is a XEP-0065 implementation only.

I couldn't find any reference for something similar to what I need, do you think it could be implemented using SOCKS5 proxy ?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Replies (6)

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam about 4 years ago

Hm, what about Tigase own HTTP API (REST API). I think this would be the best and most direct access to the Tigase function over HTTP.

Added by Luca Stucchi about 4 years ago

Hi Artur, when I read about API it looked too simplistic, but I must have missed a piece: I'll look better, I see no reason to reinvent the wheel !

What about having this component active in a cluster ? I imagine that, activating it on all the cluster nodes, the API could be accessed on each of them, and there could even be a load balancer dispatching requests on the different servers. Is this an optimal solution, or there are better ideas to enable REST API access on more than a node ?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Luca Stucchi wrote:

Hi Artur, when I read about API it looked too simplistic, but I must have missed a piece: I'll look better, I see no reason to reinvent the wheel !

It is simple and it is meant to be simple, however, it is very powerful.

What about having this component active in a cluster ? I imagine that, activating it on all the cluster nodes, the API could be accessed on each of them, and there could even be a load balancer dispatching requests on the different servers. Is this an optimal solution, or there are better ideas to enable REST API access on more than a node ?

Yes, normally we deploy it on all cluster nodes and you can LB them using DNS round-robin. I think this is an optimal solution.

However, just a side note. Pulling messages via HTTP is far from optimal and makes sense only for small or low traffic installations. I would suggest in such a case to use either Bosh or even better to use Websockets.

Hi there,

unfortunately I need HTTP because the component that needs to access the XMPP server has a limitation in connectivity that allows it only to perform an HTTP request taking a limited amount of time: that's why the HTTP API sounds perfect.

I modified some scripts in order to better understand how to implement what I need, and I was wondering: since I am authenticated, how can I get the XMPP messages waiting for me ? Should I first send an XMPP authentication packet or I can skip it ? Is there in the service groovy object a method to retrieve packets ? (something like service.sendPacket but on the opposite side....) ?

Thanks in advance,

Luca

Luca Stucchi wrote:

Hi there,

unfortunately I need HTTP because the component that needs to access the XMPP server has a limitation in connectivity that allows it only to perform an HTTP request taking a limited amount of time: that's why the HTTP API sounds perfect.

Bosh is just a HTTP request, or series of requests. It is an XMPP protocol embedded in HTTP protocol.

I modified some scripts in order to better understand how to implement what I need, and I was wondering: since I am authenticated, how can I get the XMPP messages waiting for me ? Should I first send an XMPP authentication packet or I can skip it ? Is there in the service groovy object a method to retrieve packets ? (something like service.sendPacket but on the opposite side....) ?

While sending a message via HTTP API is quite simple and straightforward, retrieving a message waiting for a user via REST API is not so simple, unfortunately. This is because messages waiting for offline users are stored in database. So what you need to do, is implement a REST API call which loads the messages from database. I do not think you can simulate normal user's connection over REST API and trigger Tigase to send all messages this way. You can do this over Bosh, however.

Now I know that HTTP REST API is not what I was looking for, my only aim was to fetch the XMPP messages waiting for a user that can't contact the XMPP server directly... thanks for your help in finding out that I can't easily do it !

(1-6/6)