Project

General

Question on authentication latency

Raymond Chan
Added almost 4 years ago

Hi devs,

May I know how we could optimize the authentication latency? I've measured with our server and also Tigase.im, they took around 5 to 6 seconds to complete the authentication flow and retrieve offline messages. I know that Kik is also running with Tigase, however, I've tested with it (with app force stopped, no background service is running) It took only around 1 - 1.5 seconds to login and then retrieve all offline messages.

What sever settings should I look into in order to achieve a such quick connection? Thanks!

Replies (1)

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam almost 4 years ago

There are many factors to take into account:

1. Make sure you use the same client software for testing different servers, clients themselves introduce delays which may affect the login timing results

2. Kik does not use the whole XMPP protocol and omits some handshaking and requests at login time

3. Once you are on the same page with comparing different installations, you need to trace which part of the login take most of the time, is it DB bound or network bound....

To sum it up, I think improvements are possible but usually they are individual for each installation. So some investigation should be run to find out which parts take long time and which can be reduced.

(1-1/1)