Project

General

Tigase releases and building from source

Joan Pujol
Added almost 3 years ago

After doing a little research and testing I decided to go for Tigase.

Initially I downloaded the latest stable version but as I found some bugs that are currently solved for 7.1.0 and I haven't plans to go for production at least until June/July I decided to download that version.

As I haven't found that version for download ( Is this available?) I decided to compile from source. But I have some problems and doubts.

How are releases managed? I think I understand the master and stable branches. But what does have the release one? I've seen that is practically aligned with the master one and has commits tagged by tasks for 7.1.0 and 7.2.0.

Concretely I want to work in what will be the 7.1.0 version, because for my production plans I don't know if it's safe to plain for 7.2.0 release.

Do I've to use the release branch? Does it's commits will be included in 7.1.0 (althought some are from issues tagged for 7.2.0)?

I tried to compile the master server branch and I've found several issues.

Using mvn -Pdist -f modules/master/pom.xml clean install I was able to build XMPP Server Master Project but Server and Server Distribution failed

Then I downloaded message-archiving and after compiling it I've been able to build XMPP Server. But Server Distribution fails because tigase-unified-archive isn't found, where can I found it?

Then I tried to build the MongoDB module and I've problems with pubsub. And if I try to build pubsub I get error about classes that are not found:

For example tigase/tigase-pubsub/src/main/java/tigase/pubsub/PubSubComponent.java:[34,26] error: package tigase.disteventbus does not exist

This package seems to be at the server project but not in the pub sub.

I'm doing something wrong?

Is there any estimation dates for versions. I'm particuarlly interested in 7.2.0 because it has some MongoDB tasks.

I've seen that there are some dates on Redmine but they are some months passed.

Replies (4)

Added by Daniel Wisnewski IoT 1 Cloud almost 3 years ago

Hi Joan, thanks for choosing our software.

Currently we are QA'ing v7.1.0 in release branch, and developing for v7.2.0 in master branch. This is somewhat atypical of expected, but both branches are still undergoing changes.

V7.2.0 has a lot of major changes to the tigase code, including a kernel implementation which effects almost all of the components, so the standard way of building for right now is a bit...broken as you've seen.

v7.1.0 is very close to release, we have a few changes, but it will be released soon and it currently being built at http://build.xmpp-test.net/ under nighlies/dists.

v7.2.0 is still in heavy development and I am not sure what the outlook for release is.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

Added by Joan Pujol almost 3 years ago

Thanks David,

But what seems strange to me if that I look at GIT repository I see that release and master branch are near the same (I attach an image). This is because 7.2.0 development hasn't started yet?

Added by Wojciech Kapcia TigaseTeam almost 3 years ago

Joan Pujol wrote:

As I haven't found that version for download ( Is this available?) I decided to compile from source. But I have some problems and doubts.

Yes, it's available and you can find the links in http://tigase.net/node/535 and http://build.tigase.org/nightlies/

How are releases managed? I think I understand the master and stable branches. But what does have the release one? I've seen that is practically aligned with the master one and has commits tagged by tasks for 7.1.0 and 7.2.0.

Concretely I want to work in what will be the 7.1.0 version, because for my production plans I don't know if it's safe to plain for 7.2.0 release.

Do I've to use the release branch? Does it's commits will be included in 7.1.0 (althought some are from issues tagged for 7.2.0)?

This is explained in Git best practices

I tried to compile the master server branch and I've found several issues.

Using mvn -Pdist -f modules/master/pom.xml clean install I was able to build XMPP Server Master Project but Server and Server Distribution failed

Then I downloaded message-archiving and after compiling it I've been able to build XMPP Server. But Server Distribution fails because tigase-unified-archive isn't found, where can I found it?

Then I tried to build the MongoDB module and I've problems with pubsub. And if I try to build pubsub I get error about classes that are not found:

For example tigase/tigase-pubsub/src/main/java/tigase/pubsub/PubSubComponent.java:[34,26] error: package tigase.disteventbus does not exist

This package seems to be at the server project but not in the pub sub.

Providing logs would make analysis easier. All artifacts are available and published to the repository: http://build.tigase.org/maven/tigase/tigase-unified-archive/

I'm doing something wrong?

Most likely you are mixing different versions.

Is there any estimation dates for versions. I'm particuarlly interested in 7.2.0 because it has some MongoDB tasks.

I've seen that there are some dates on Redmine but they are some months passed.

Currently we are focusing on releasing 7.1.0, the dates of subsequent versions will be then re-adjusted.

Joan Pujol wrote:

But what seems strange to me if that I look at GIT repository I see that release and master branch are near the same (I attach an image). This is because 7.2.0 development hasn't started yet?

No, they are far from the same - they may look similar if you look only at the top of the repository changes, but if you compare the files there are huge changes and introduction of couple of new APIs, and this entails split into master/release/stable branches.

Added by Joan Pujol almost 3 years ago

Thank you for your explanations. Now its absolutely clear to me :)

And about compilation I will double check the versions.

(1-4/4)