Project

General

Tigase and FCM integration

Gabriele Mendi
Added over 1 year ago

Hello everybody,

in the last weeks I played a bit with Firebase Realtime Database and Firebase Cloud Messaging. Cool stuff!

Well... now my curiosity is (and I am asking here because I didn't find any suitable info): how actively works the plugin implemented in Tigase 7.2 to seamlessly send notifications with FCM??

I mean, how the notification workflow works into the XMPP messaging/pushing logic?

Thanks!

Replies (6)

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam over 1 year ago

The push logic developer comes back from vacation next week and when he is back, he will provide you with requested information.

Added by Gabriele Mendi over 1 year ago

Hi Artur,

thanks!

Added by Andrzej Wójcik IoT 1 CloudTigaseTeam over 1 year ago

For Push Notifications Tigase uses XEP-0357: Push Notifications to send notifications from the processor to push component responsible for sending Push notifications over FCM to mobile devices. In push component, we used XMPP connection to FCM and we are sending notifications to XMPP clients over FCM.

As FCM requires credentials for delivery of notification to particular XMPP clients (particular application), each application developer needs to deploy its own instance of our Push Component configured to forward notifications to its application (XMPP client).

Hi Andrzej ,

thank you very much for the info.

When you write "XMPP clients over FCM" you are considering a registered application/project in GCM communicating with a XMPP library like Strophe, for instance?

I would like to implement this mechanism in an Ionic/Cordova application, reading and writing from our backend, but I am struggling to understand the connection with FCM Plugin and FCM itself, with all the gears moving like messaging to topics, applications ecc ecc...

I am also wondering how I could "pair" in some ways the PubSub nodes with the topics mechanics in FCM.

There would be someone in this forum interested in a professional mandate, to get rid of all this mess?

Thanks a lot again

Lele

Added by Andrzej Wójcik IoT 1 CloudTigaseTeam over 1 year ago

Gabriele Mendi wrote:

Hi Andrzej ,

thank you very much for the info.

When you write "XMPP clients over FCM" you are considering a registered application/project in GCM communicating with a XMPP library like Strophe, for instance?

Yes, notification is sent to mobile application using FCM notifications.

I would like to implement this mechanism in an Ionic/Cordova application, reading and writing from our backend, but I am struggling to understand the connection with FCM Plugin and FCM itself, with all the gears moving like messaging to topics, applications ecc ecc...

We are not using messaging or topic. This is part of a Firebase if I recall, and we are not using it, just notifications over FCM.

I am also wondering how I could "pair" in some ways the PubSub nodes with the topics mechanics in FCM.

You want PubSub nodes connected with Firebase not FCM notifications and this is a big difference.

There would be someone in this forum interested in a professional mandate, to get rid of all this mess?

Thanks a lot again

Lele

Hi Andrzej,

thanks for your replay,

In fact, probably, it's not that I would like to connect PubSub to Firebase... chances are that I didn't fully understand yet what would be implementation of only notifications on FCM!

In another project I managed to write functions that are hosted on Firebase Functions and that write messages through FCM using triggers on certain nodes in Firebase... and combining this notifications with the push plugin in Cordova I got my result (and works really vell, to be honest).

On the other hand, with XMPP I would have more flexibility and I honestly would like to use also integrated roster and PubSub capabilities combined with mobile push notifications to achieve what I consider the best.

Do you know someone that would be able to help me professionaly to understand and help me to build a proper implementation on Tigase and his components?

I mean, I would be able to pay a couple of days of professional consultancy on this topic. :)

Thanks a lot!

Lele

(1-6/6)