Project

General

Spare hardware for clustering tests needed

Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam
Added almost 5 years ago

The main part of the Tigase server development is testing. Actually I spend much more time on testing the server in different scenarios than on writing the actual code.

Most of the tests can be run locally on the development machine. Performance tests and especially load tests require more hardware but usually the development machine as a client and one mor as the server is enough.

One category of tests however require more hardware to be involved and in the best case scenario that hardware should be always on to see how the software behaves over the longer period of time. Clustering tests. They require ideally 3 machines for the server deployment. I run automated tests on the Tigase server very often and also this clustered installation is available to the public at the address: xmpp-test.tigase.org. By running it for a long time and exposing it to the public I can catch many exceptional cases and fix problems which don't appear on short automatic test runs.

At the moment I use 3 machines which are always turned on. Unfortunately 2 of them are very old hardware which have started to refuse working more and more often. Therefore I am looking at replacing them with something different. Ideally it would be low power consumption machine with at least 512MB RAM. There is even no hard disk needed as the system could be started from USB stick or DVD disk. It could be also a laptop with at least single core Pentium M 1.5GHz and 512MB RAM.

If you have such a hardware and can offer it to the project I would very much appreciate your help. Please send me a message using the contact form, or via email/xmpp at the address: kobit AT tigase.org to discuss details.