Project

General

Profile

Tigase Tip: Checking the runtime environment

Avatar?id=6023&size=32x32

Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam
Added over 4 years ago

It has happened recently that we have tried very hard to fix a few annoying problems on one of the Tigase installations. Whatever we did, however the problems still existed after uploading a new version and the server restart. It worked fine in our development environment and it just didn't on the target system.

It turned out that due to a specific environment settings on the target system an old version of the Tigase server was always started regardless updates we were uploading. When I finally started looking at the installation the first indication that something is wrong was lack of any log files in place where I expected them.

The best way to check all the environment settings used to start the Tigase server is to use..... check command line parameter:

./scripts/tigase.sh check etc/tigase.conf
Checking arguments to Tigase
TIGASE_HOME = .
TIGASE_JAR = ./jars/tigase-server.jar
TIGASE_PARAMS = etc/tigase.conf
TIGASE_CONFIG =  etc/tigase.xml
TIGASE_RUN = tigase.server.XMPPServer -c etc/tigase.xml --property-file etc/init.properties
TIGASE_PID = ./logs/tigase.pid
TIGASE_OPTIONS = --property-file etc/init.properties
JAVA_OPTIONS = -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8 \
-Djdbc.drivers=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver:org.postgresql.Driver \
-server -Xms100M -Xmx200M -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
JAVA =  /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java
JAVA_CMD =
CLASSPATH = ./jars/tigase-server.jar:./libs/jdbc-mysql.jar:./libs/jdbc-postgresql.jar:\
./libs/tigase-extras.jar:./libs/tigase-muc.jar:./libs/tigase-pubsub.jar:\
./libs/tigase-utils.jar:./libs/tigase-xmltools.jar
TIGASE_CMD = /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java \
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8 \
-Djdbc.drivers=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver:org.postgresql.Driver \
-server -Xms100M -Xmx200M -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m \
-cp ./jars/tigase-server.jar:./libs/jdbc-mysql.jar:./libs/jdbc-postgresql.jar:\
./libs/tigase-extras.jar:./libs/tigase-muc.jar:./libs/tigase-pubsub.jar:\
./libs/tigase-utils.jar:./libs/tigase-xmltools.jar tigase.server.XMPPServer \
-c etc/tigase.xml --property-file etc/init.properties
TIGASE_CONSOLE_LOG = ./logs/tigase-console.log

In our case TIGASE_HOME was set to a fixed location pointing to an old version of the server files. The quick check command may be a real time saver.