Project

General

Server configuration the XMPP way

Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam
Added almost 5 years ago

Controlling and configuring the server from your Jabber/XMPP client was always one of priorities in Tigase project. Using service discovery and ad-hoc commands you could browse server statistics and change settings for modules loaded into server.

Upcoming 2.9.0 version offers next feature - adding new components to the running server with ad-hoc commands. This gives complete control to the server admin over configuration of the running Tigase server just from his Jabber/XMPP client.

<!--break-->

Configuration manual has been started. Right now it describes in details the format of XML configuration file and it's structure. Next sections will guide you through all available components settings.

Taking the opportunity I modify configuration code I have also made some minor cleanup and changed a few configuration setting names. As a consequence in rare cases your configuration may not work as expected. The best way to make sure your configuration is valid is to regenerate configuration file using configuration generators.

These changes affected only session manager plug-ins settings. They used to be called components which was quite confusing and to make things clear I decided to rename them to plugins.

Configuration generators have been also improved. It is now possible to set initial parameters for as many external components as you need: --ext-comp_1, --ext-abc, --ext-foo.

I still recommend to use configuration generators (wizards) as this is the best way to get initial configuration file which in most cases doesn't need any further tweaking. This is especially important when you upgrade from older server version. You can simply regenerate your config file without worrying about compatibility issues.

At the moment all these new stuff are in SVN and the best Jabber/XMPP client to play with service discovery and ad-hoc commands is Psi.