Project

General

Perfect Jabber client

Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam
Added almost 5 years ago

Wouldn't it be great to have a Jabber client which could be run in your Web browser on any system and as powerful as a standalone application? Better yet, wouldn't it be great to have a Jabber client which could be run as a standalone application on your desktop and alternatively in Web browser when you are away from your desktop?

There is a number of great standalone Jabber/XMPP client written in C, C++, Python, Java, Ruby, ... and there is also a number of very interesting Web clients written in JavaScript, Flash or XUL. Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages but what about the client offering advantages from both worlds?

The simplest answer would be a Java client which could be run as a Java Applet in Web browser and alternatively as a standalone application. To my big surprise I couldn't find any client offering such functionality. There are a few Java applications but none of them can run as a Java applet.

Is there any solution available? Continue reading...

<!--break-->

I was looking for Web Jabber client to put it on my site and connect to my Jabber server for a long time and suddenly I came across Jeti Jabber Client. This is Java client which can be run as a Java applet in your browser or as a standalone application and also as a Java Web Start application. This looks like a perfect combination of capabilities.
It offers decent set of features, actually much more than I expected from Web client and it is very easy to put it on Web site. I recommend it to anybody who needs a good client for the Web site.

Please note screen-shots attached to this article show the client in applet mode and they don't demonstrate the full power of the application as Jabber client. For better pictures refer to project site: Jeti screenshots.

I found a client I was looking for. You can try the client connecting to tigase.org service or any Jabber server of your choice. You don't have, however, to create account for you to start chatting. By default you will be automatically logged in as a guest user to Tigase server.

Link to the applet is on the front page (only) on top of the right column. If you are not logged into Drupal and you click on applet link you will be automatically logged in as guest user to tigase.org. You can then logout and login again using different user name or you can even select different Jabber server to connect to.

Alternatively if you are logged to Drupal with your account the correct user name will be automatically selected and tigase.org Jabber server. You have only to enter your password to login.

All communication is by default through SSL channel.