Project

General

PubSub message expiration

Peter Rajcani
Added about 4 years ago

Does the Tigase PubSub API support message expiration, i.e. the message is not delivered to subscribers after the expiration date? In our scenario some subscribers are offline and we do not want them to receive messages that have expired once they come back online (the standard pubsub scenario would deliver all published messages while client is offline). We still want them to receive offline messages that have not expired yet, once the message is past the expiration date it should not be delivered to the subscriber. What is the best way to implement this? I did not find anything regarding message expiration in the PubSub protocol. I know that XMPP spec has advanced message processing (XEP-0079: http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0079.html), but looks like it only applies to peer to peer messages and not to PubSub messages. Can advanced message processing be used for PubSub messages too?

Replies (3)

(1)

Added by Bartosz Malkowski TigaseTeam about 4 years ago

Unfortunatelly Tigase PubSub doesn't supports message expiring.

We think that AMP should be good for you, but PubSub doesn't supports sending messages with AMP right now and requires some additional work to implement it.

(1)

Added by Peter Rajcani about 4 years ago

I see. Thanks! How much effort would it be to implement this feature?

Added by Artur Hefczyc TigaseTeam about 4 years ago

I think it would be between 2 - 4 days of work depending on which approach we would use and whether there are additional custom requirements.

(1-3/3)